Imagine lying perfectly still in a small, enclosed, tubular space for anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours. You’re attired in a loose hospital gown, unsure of when your MRI experience and its trademark pounding noises will cease. Unsure of what these results may bring. Add to this the threat of starting over or returning for additional scans due to too much movement. Or the knowledge that these scans will be routine for your care.
For many patients, the MRI experience is anywhere from unpleasant to frightening to downright unbearable, even inspiring the E-Patient community to create the #firstMRI project. Moreover, this fear and discomfort is no small matter. A recent study found 42% of patients report being fearful of MRI and 1 in 7 patients have cancelled an MRI due to fear. Furthermore a recent Harborview study puts the potential cost of patient motion (and needed re-scans) at $115,000 per MRI scanner, per year. Despite fear and discomfort, for many MRI patients, like Thomas, MRI scans are vital to their health care.
At RSNA 2011, the Caring MR Suite launched specifically to address fear, claustrophobia and discomfort and create the best possible patient MRI experience. Seven years later, patient and caregiver testimonials, and in-house studies are encouraging, with 94% of patients reporting an “Excellent” MRI experience and 25/25 high anxiety patients reporting they would “Highly Recommend” this MRI experience. Furthermore, a recent customer study found our Caring MR Suite technology helped reduce their anesthesia cases by nearly 60% and paid for itself in less than 1.5 years. But to many, the Caring MR Suite simply looks like a beautiful room, so how exactly does it work to lessen patients’ fear?
Well, let’s break it down with a little Psychology 101.
- Control – In stressful situations, like an MRI scan, feelings of control can help lessen anxiety.
- The Caring MR Suite offers patients control over their MRI experience, to choose their favorite HD Nature Video or movie, lighting hue and music at anytime.
- Patients can also physically take control of their environment by simply tapping a touch pad to instantly personalize their MRI experience.
- Personalization – No two patients are alike, and our preferences, needs and moods are ever changing.
- The Caring MR Suite gives patients and caregivers the power to personalize Theme, movie, lighting and music to fit their or their patients’ preferences that very moment.
- My Device, DVD & computer integration options ensure there’s content for every patient and empowers caregivers to be involved in offering additional patient content options, like movies or custom Themes. Intermountain Cedar City created a custom Illuminated Image Ceiling, Image Panels and Themes as a thank you for their community.
- Healing Power of Nature – Studies find that patients exposed to nature heal more quickly and require less medication. These studies also find exposure to nature reduces stress and anxiety while rejuvenating and inspiring.
- The Caring MR Suite features original 4K Ultra HD nature videography created specifically for patients.
- 4K Ultra HD Ceiling And Wall Video Displays offer the sharpest image quality available to bring nature closer to patients than ever before.
- Our new in-bore viewing HD Portable Video Display allows patients to enjoy their favorite Nature Theme video or movie start to finish of their MRI scan – now making the at times impossible MRI, possible. Learn about Misson: M4 and Thomas’ story.
- New 4K Virtual Aquariums & Aquatic Themes bring the unique calming power of water and rarely seen aquatic life to patients.
- Positive Distraction – Matt Killingsworth’s study finds we’re the least happy when our minds are wandering – as they tend to wander to our worries and anxieties. Furthermore, Guy Winch shows how just 2 minutes of positive distraction can turn the tide of negativity in a positive direction.
- By involving patients in Theme Selection, caregivers can positively focus patients’ attention on choosing their MRI experience to prevent worry and anxiety.
- The Caring MR Suite pre-scan choice options allow patients to be engaged as early as waiting rooms, during scheduling, or on provider websites or social media.
- Previewing Nature Theme options further enhances the positive effects with the benefits of nature.
- Sensory Absorption – Studies finds that when you have choice over your environment, your senses are more likely to be engaged in the experience – watching the video, seeing the lighting, listening to the music – enhancing the benefits or nature, the arts and positive distraction.
- The CMRS meaningfully engages senses of sight, sound and touch.
- Connection – Chronic loneliness, Guy Winch finds, shortens lifespans, increases high blood pressure & suppresses functioning of the immune system. Additionally according to Dr. Vivek Murthy, US Surgeon General, “During my years caring for patients, the most common pathology I saw was not heart disease or diabetes; it was loneliness.”
- The Caring MR Suite creates opportunities for caregiver – patient interaction and bonding when choosing the right MRI experience for the patient.
- The Power of Play – This NPR TED Radio Hour “Press Play” discusses how play has the power to decrease stress, increase empathy among strangers and improve happiness and well being.
- Less choice, greater happiness – Contrary to belief – more choice does not lead to more happiness, in fact, Barry Schwartz finds it tends to lessen it.
- The Caring MR Suite provides flexibility to modify offerings as providers feel fit.
It’s been our pleasure to work with so many fantastic teams working to improve the patient MRI experience over the years, and we look forward to continuing to strive to offer the very best MRI and healthcare experience to every patient.
Gone are the days something as small as a single incandescent light bulb can take down your 10-plus ton MRI system, disrupting your MRI scan and patient schedule and creating costly delays. Even better? No longer must transitioning to MRI LED lighting require a costly and disruptive construction project.
With our MRI LED Replacement System, quickly, easily and cost-effectively transition to LED lighting in as little as 90 minutes and 3 simple steps. No construction or downtime needed, and even more benefits below:
- Eliminate lost imaging time
- Eliminate added construction costs
- Eliminate lighting artifacts
- Reduce energy costs
- Tested in GE Healthcare MRI suites
- Proven compliant with MRI EMI requirements
- 3 year warranty
- ETL listed
But why stop at MRI LED Replacement Lights?
Visit our MRI lighting page to explore options to improve your MRI tech and patient experience. Add a tech favorite – our Directional Task Lights to add needed bright, targeted lighting for injections and other procedures. Explore custom Illuminated Image Panels, Ceilings and Windows to add warmth, LED RGB Lighting and nature to your MRI suite. Reach out with custom projects or any ways we can help, and, if you haven’t seen it yet, learn more about our Caring MR Suite, Virtual Aquariums and MRI Shielding.
Curious to see our MRI Lighting up close and in action? See Intermountain’s Cedar City’s custom in-bore Caring MR Suite on the news, featuring: MRI LED can lights, Directional Task Lighting, a custom Cedar City Illuminated Image Ceiling, custom Illuminated Image Panels, custom Cedar City HD Nature Video Themes and our Portable Video Display for patient in-bore viewing. Cedar City’s radiology leadership commissioned these custom elements as a thank you for their community.
We’re excited to share our new website designed with the goal to help you quickly find everything you need to help improve your MRI shielding experience and patient experience design. If you have questions, need additional info or have ways we can further improve our website or projects, please let us know!
A few of our favorite features, while you’re here:
-Visit our new Patient Experience page to view a few of our favorite patient experience success stories, and let us know if you have one to share!
-Try out our Interactive Caring MR Suite page for a new way to explore the suite and options.
-Learn about our new Caring MR Suite Theme Contest!
As we launch this new website on Thanksgiving Eve, we are grateful for the very best customers, colleagues, partners and website team at M2 Communications.
We hope you enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving and RSNA’16 to you and yours.
To celebrate 5 years of Caring MR Suites, we’re excited to announce our new Caring MR Suite Theme Contest! Each of our 100+ Caring MR Suite teams will be given the opportunity to brainstorm with their team and patients to submit their favorite idea for our next 4K Caring MR Suite Theme. Theme submissions will include video content, lighting color and a music style.
PDC will share all approved Theme ideas on our Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter pages. The Theme idea with the most total Likes, Shares and RTs at the end of the contest will win! The winning Theme submission will be created and installed first at the winning team’s site. This team will also receive a photo and video shoot, feature and of course, cake, to celebrate.
Stay tuned. Full Theme Contest details and kick-off coming soon!
We’re proud to announce an exciting new addition to our Caring MR Suite: goggle-free, in-bore viewing. Now, patients can view their favorite Nature Video or personal movie from start to finish of their MRI scan, without the confines of goggles.
Our collection of behind-the-bore wall-mounted and portable HD Video Displays allow for in-bore viewing with the customer’s choice of a head coil mirror or prism glasses.
Behind-the-bore video displays can be easily integrated into existing Caring MR Suites.
See one of the first Portable Video Displays installed at Affinity Health’s St. Elizabeth Hospital on our new interactive page, learn more about product options here and contact us with any questions.